Pages

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Finally!

It has been ages since I last posted, but I will try to give a quick summary of life at the present!  Bob (16) has just finished 10th grade at the local public high school, and Picklehead (6), graduated from kindergarten at the elementary school down the road. Sire Ethan (14) has completed his 9th grade work at home.


We have decided that all three boys will stay home in the fall, and they and I are very excited about this!  I will direct the majority of their schooling during the day, and in the evening I will work on my own online classes through a local college.  I will probably take 3 classes, or about 9 credit hours this first semester.  


I want to get a teaching degree, but my goal is to work with homeschool families.  I am interested in doing that as early as August, and I have a site up and running with more details on that.  Check it out at turpinhomeacademy.webs.com.  


I have done a lot of planning as far as their curriculum, but I am glad we still have a couple months to get everything ready.  


I've got a schedule in mind, but you know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men!  This is how we'll start, anyways.


Monday - Thursday


6:00am - Miss Penelope gets ready for the day


7:00am - Boys up and breakfast served


7:30am - Breakfast clean-up and morning duties (beds made, teeth brushed, 
              etc.)


8:00am - Group time, including Bible study, history, geography, poetry, etc.


10:00am - Picklehead's one-on-one (Math, Reading, Science, Writing, Spanish,                    
               Music, Art, etc); older boys work independently


12:00pm - lunch, clean-up, outside break


1:00pm - Bob's one-on-one; Sire Ethan to play with Picklehead


2:00pm - Sire Ethan's one-on-one; Bob to play with Picklehead


3:00pm - afternoon chores (dishes, laundry, etc) for boys; Miss Penelope 
              works on her own school
6/7 pm - supper


8:30pm - Picklehead to bed


9/10pm - older boys and Miss Penelope to bed!


Fridays will be "fieldtrip days".  


This gives Picklehead 4 solid hours of official school work 4 days per week, which is plenty for him.  I have in mind that they will play outside as much as possible during his time with his brothers.  


The older boys will have 5 hours of academic time M-Th, which should be ample time for them to complete the necessary tasks.  If neither Bob nor Sire Ethan need any individual help on any particular day, we can be done with "school" by noon, leaving time for other activities.  I hope to get in a lot of visits to our *new and improved* local library!


I guess I haven't even covered curriculum yet, but I will have to do that in another post, since this one is becoming quite the epistle as it is!


Over and out for now....

No comments:

Post a Comment